Stourbridgenews co ukdating
The Plaza Cinema was built on Castle Hill in 1938 next to the Hippodrome, and remained open until October 1990.
The building was then taken over by Laser Quest, who used it until it was demolished in 1997. Since the 1970s, there has been a nightclub on Castle Hill situated on the corner of Station Drive; this has changed ownership several times since first opening.
In more recent years, however, the declining industry in the area has given rise to high unemployment, resulting in the closure of many town businesses.
The development of the nearby Merry Hill Shopping Centre between 19 also saw the loss of most of the town centre's leading name stores, which relocated to take advantage of the tax incentives offered by Merry Hill's status as an Enterprise Zone. The Town Hall (now Dudley Concert Hall) opened on St James's Road in 1928; it stands next to council offices which were converted from the old Police Station in 1939 after the construction of a new building on nearby New Street.
After this time the Town Commissioners were superseded by the Board of Health, before the town was eventually incorporated into a municipal borough in 1865. In 1966, the county borough was expanded to include the urban district councils of Brierley Hill and Sedgley, along with parts of Coseley, Amblecote and Rowley Regis, while an area in the eastern section of Dudley was transferred into the new borough of Warley, which became part of Sandwell in 1974.
It became a County Borough in 1888 under the Local Government Act, consisting of the wards of St. The town is home to Dudley Zoo, and the Black Country Living Museum.
The main industries in Dudley included coal and limestone mining.
Other industries included iron, steel, engineering, metallurgy, glass cutting, textiles and leatherworking.
We all know that a few bad apples can ruin your online dating experience, and we are determined not to let that happen.Dudley Zoo is to be regenerated under proposals by Dudley Zoo in partnership with Dudley Council, St Modwen and Advantage West Midlands, which will see a former freightliner site redeveloped with a tropical dome, Asiatic forest, two aquatic facilities and walkthrough aviaries. Dudley is home to a former Odeon Cinema and a former music hall, the Dudley Hippodrome, both from the Art Deco period in the 1930s.The Dudley Hippodrome was built on to the side of the now-demolished Opera House (built in 1900 and burnt down in 1936) and is now a bingo hall.In more recent years the town has declined further still, with the financial crisis and recession resulting in even more of the retail units in the town centre becoming vacant. The town has had a public library since 1878; it was originally situated in Priory Street, before relocating to St James's Road in 1909.The Woolworths store on Market Place closed in December 2008 when the company went bankrupt, By the end of the 13th century Dudley had become a manorial borough and, from the 16th century until 1853, was governed by the Court Leet of the Lords of Dudley. The library underwent a major expansion in 1966 and a significant refurbishment in 2002.